• General
    • Key Mapping
    • X-45
    • X-52 (Pro)
    • Saitek Cyborg Evo
  • Other
    • Saitek SST Software

1. Joystick Setup

!Be sure to check some videos made by Jason from 777 Studios with instructions on how to set up a joystick. LINK!

In most cases, problems with joysticks in Wings of Prey are caused by faulty settings of the axises. This can be easily solved by checking and setting them manually.
Joystick axises in Wings of Prey can be set up through the Profile -> Options -> Controls -> Devices menu. Here you'll see a list of all the different axises available for setup, like Elevator Axis, Aileron Axis and more. Assigning these in-game axises to joystick axises is very easy. When you double-click the axis you want to change, a small options window appears. To set an axis to the selected in-game axis, just move the appropriate axis with the joystick (e.g. when you've selected Elevator Axis, move the joystick forward and backward to set the correct axis). Make sure whether you need to invert it.

1.1. Axis options window

Hidden text for 1.1:

In this window there's a number of things to see:
  • Physical axis
  • Logical axis
  • Invert Axis
  • Modifier button
  • Dead zone
  • Nonlinearity
Physical axis
This red indicator shows the actual movement of the joystick. This is an unmodified, linear movement.

Logical axis
This green indicator shows how the game will interpret the physical axis. This changes when the deadzone and non-linearity settings are changed.

Invert Axis
This option allows you to invert the selected axis.

Modifier Button
This allows you to select a button which you'll need to hold down to activate the selected axis. For example, when you select the 'F' button as the modifier button for the aileron axis, you won't be able to bank left or right unless you press and hold the 'F' button.

1.2. Deadzone, non-linearity and sensitivity

The best way to figure out how these settings work is to try them out, just looking at the green and red indicator in the Devices -> Double-click axis menu.
Hidden text for 1.2:

Deadzone
The deadzone is just a zone around the base of the stick in which it won't do anything. The bigger the setting, the bigger the zone. So if you set max deadzone, you can wobble around the stick, but it won't do anything unless your input is more than, for example, 50%. See graph below.
Posted Image
Joystick with deadzone set

Non-linearity
Non-linearity makes the game translate the normal linear movement and output of the joystick into a non-linear one. This is best shown in a graph:
Posted Image
Joystick with nothing set

Posted Image
Joystick with non-linearity set

As you can see, normally a certain percentage of movement of your joystick would result in the same percentage of input in the game (i.e., if you move the stick half-way, your ailerons would move to half the max deflection). When you set a certain non-linearity, this becomes different. At the lower ranges, a bigger input of the joystick would give a smaller output (i.e. 20% movement would give 10% aileron deflection). At the higher ranges, a smaller input would give a higher output (i.e. moving from 60% to 70% (10% difference) would increase the aileron deflection by 20%).
This setting is helpful if you want to be able to make small adjustments, but find it difficult to move the joystick with very small movements. Be careful though, at higher joystick inputs, the in-game reading is very sensitive.

(All the numbers and graphs are random, only used as an example)

Sensitivity
Sensitivity is a concept that can be easily mis-understood. As most people know, at lower settings it will make an airplane react smoother, because it reduces the input in-game for a given joystick input. What most people don't realize, is that this is achieved by lowering the maximum in-game deflection possible. See graph below.

Posted Image
Blue line: Full sensitivity
Red line: Half sensitivity

This all means that if you set sensitivity to a lower setting, you'll effectively reduce your maximum control surface deflection. In some of the more 'twitchy' planes, like the I-16 or I-153, this might be helpful, but in other planes it might reduce your ability to turn.

1.3. Key Mapping

Hidden text for 1.3:

Key Mapping for joysticks goes the same way as with the keyboard. Go to the Options -> Controls -> Key Mapping menu, click an action and press the appropriate joystick button. If the button doesn't seem to respond, try using the second or third column.
Here's an oversight of the default keyboard settings (thanks blazingstar!). A downloadable and editable version can be found in Excel format as an attachment.
Posted Image

2. Common problems

This section will probably be needing the most updating. I can't do all of this from the top of my head, but I'll do my best.

2.1. General
Most problems are caused by axises set incorrectly in the Devices menu. If you've chosen a preset, check the axises anyways if you're experiencing problems. Pay special attention to the trim axises.
Try unplugging your joystick, and plugging it back in.

2.2. Key Mapping
Key Mapping doesn't always function correctly in Wings of Prey. Therefore, I advise using programming software (especially for Saitek and Logitech).

2.3. X-45

2.4. X-52 (Pro)
  • Axises set incorrectly
    The pre-set for the X52 might be invalid. Try setting the axises manually.

2.5. Saitek Cyborg Evo
  • Ailerons are stuck a little to the left

From the Saitek website:
    Calibration isn't actually necessary with the Cyborg evo. If you're finding that the stick seems uncalibrated then simply rotate the handle in a full circle and this should 'remind' the PC of the stick's calibration.

If you find that the stick still seems to 'drift' then try downloading the latest driver for the stick from the downloads page.

If the stick still drifts then try the following:

Unplug the controller, click Start>Run, type

regedit

and click OK. In the Registry Editor browse to the following folders in order:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    MediaProperties
    PrivateProperties
    DirectInput

And delete the VID_06A3&PID_0464 folder. Plug the controller back in, rotate and twist the stick fully a couple of times and see if that has fixed it.
    (Thanks Grim1!)

3. Other

Here I'll just add anything related to joysticks, but not applicable to the other sections.

3.1. Saitek SST Programming Software

A lot of new users have notified they don't have a lot of flight sim experience, but do own a X-52 and aren't able to use the Key Mapping correctly. I own a X-52 Pro myself, and use the SST Programing Software, which works like a charm. I advise anyone with a compatible joystick to use it. Here's a small explanation of how to use it. This explanation is very basic, and anyone who wishes to use the more advance functions, or just wants to know more, should google it ;).
The software can be downloaded from the Saitek site. I'm not sure which other Saitek joysticks can use it, but definitely the X-45 and X-52 (Pro).
Hidden text for 3.1:

The SST Software consists of two programs: the Profile Editor and the Profiler.

Profiler
This is basically a small manager to interface the joystick with the software. Only a tray icon shows up, and it has no main window. When clicking on the tray icon, a few functions show up:
  • The profiles
  • Clear Profile
  • Clear Startup
  • Profile Editor
  • Control Panel

The profiles
At the top of the list your saved profiles show up. When you click one, that profile will be loaded to the joystick. The name of the profile will show up on the Multi Function Display (MFD) of your joystick.
Hint: To switch profiles using the joystick only, press the clutch button and use the silver hatswitch up and down to select one, right to confirm.

Clear Profile
This option clears the joystick of any profile. The joystick buttons don't have any special function, they're just normal joystick buttons.

Clear Startup
The Startup is the profile selected to load by default when the Profiler is started up. A flag will appear next to the profile selected as Startup. Press Clear Startup to select no profile as Startup.

Profile Editor
This opens the Profile Editor

Control Panel
This opens the Windows Control Panel.

Profile Editor
I'll explain this for the X-52. Most of the functions should be the same for other joysticks, but things like extra Modes won't be available to the simpler joysticks.
The Profile Editor is where you can create your own profile. The most buttons at the top of the bar are self-explanatory: New File, Open File, Save File, Print and Help. There's one button that's a little odd: the blue crosshairs. This has a very basic function: to load the currently opened profile to the joystick. With the big slider bar in the middle you can select your joystick/gamepad.
In the main screen you see a couple, well, a lot of squares, with the names of the different buttons (Trigger, Second Trigger, Launch, etc.). The Second Trigger is when you press the trigger all the way to the back, First when you press it half-way. Launch is the button with the Safe-guard, and the rest of the buttons are named on the joystick as well (A,B, etc). Every button is shown 6 times, 3 times for each modes and 3 times for each mode with the Shift key pressed. That's a lot of functions you can set to your joystick :(.
Now for the actual programming. It's very basic. Just press one of the squares. A text field will apear, with three buttons at the side. Just press the keyboard button you want to assign to the trigger, then press the green 'V' with your mouse. To cancel, press the red 'X', to assign a mouse button, click the red octagonal/circle like button below the red 'X' and click the appropriate mouse button in the text field. After this another field appears, where you can name the action.
Example:
You want to make the Trigger fire the Machine Guns. Click on Trigger, press Backspace, click the green 'V' and name it Machine Guns. The square will now display something like this:
Posted Image

You'll notice that this setting will be shown with a decreased opacity in all the other modes as well. This is because the default option for those modes is 'Fall Back'. If you want the Trigger to fire Cannons in Mode 2, just click the Trigger in the Mode 2 column and perform the same actions. For advanced options for a specific square, click the little arrow in the top right corner of that square (only shows up when your mouse is in the square).

Programming a command involving two buttons (like Alt+F) is a bit trickier. Just pressing those two buttons in the text box won't do it. To do this, click the arrow in the top-right of the square, and click New Advanced Command... . This will open a screen with three boxes. You'll only need the top one. Select it, and press and holt Alt, you'll see the Alt image appear. Now, while holding Alt, press the 'F' button. Then release both. You'll notice that both pressing and releasing will make an image appear. You'll also see a time delay below the images. Now right click on one of them, and click Quantize Time... . Set it to 0,000 seconds, if not done so already. Give the command a name at the top, and click OK. This should enable you to program this kind of commands, although it's a bit faulty every now and then. If you're having trouble, google it.

Tip: If you forgot what function you assigned to what button, press and hold the clutch button and press the appropriate button. The name of that command will show up on the MFD, but nothing else will happen.

These are the most basic functions of the SST Software, and should enable you to program your joystick for WoP.

I don't know anything about the Logitech Software, but I imagine it's similar. If anyone wants to write a small guide for that it'd be great.
Any questions, suggestions, comments, etc are welcome.
As said in the beginning, this guide is supposed to be updated, with either my or your content.

Hope it helps!

Attached Files

Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.

XBL: Ancient Seraph
WoP: AncientSeraph
Not a developer, just a promoted member.

#2 SsSsSsSsSsSsnake

SsSsSsSsSsSsnake

Air commodore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Interests:yoga ,guitar, traditional chinese medicine.gardening.diet,fitness meditation,flight sims.women

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

Nice 1 serraph,good work.thanks

final130350621457.jpg

2yjr679.png

#3 DeadAlot

DeadAlot

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

WOW! This is another reason I will continue to support this game. Most other games you hardly get any support at all from the mods or developers. Much appreciated!

#4 Royraiden

Royraiden

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

Well done and thanks Ancient Seraph, the forum needed this so much.I have a Logitech and I dont use any profiler,just set it up the same way you explained here and its as easy as that.

#5 fatalius

fatalius
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

Nice guide but i continue having the problem with the aileron stuck to the left slightly in sim mode. I have a Saitek X52 pro and tried to set everything via the Saitek program, but the problem persists....Any suggestions?

#6 AncientSeraph

AncientSeraph

Former Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:27 AM

Nice guide but i continue having the problem with the aileron stuck to the left slightly in sim mode. I have a Saitek X52 pro and tried to set everything via the Saitek program, but the problem persists....Any suggestions?

Could it be you're confusing prop torque with joystick issues? Every plane has a tendency to rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending on the direction of the rotation of the propellor.
Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.

#7 fatalius

fatalius
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:21 AM

Could it be you're confusing prop torque with joystick issues? Every plane has a tendency to rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending on the direction of the rotation of the propellor.

Just tried playing with the keyboard, having the X52 pro unplugged and the same thing is happening. So I guess it is a normal feature of the aircrafts...although i think it is a little too much. My question is though why do the aileron trim have no effect to compensate for this?

#8 trO

trO

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Good Support, Welldone.... A few threads I have read on this forum have solved my issues with my Joystick..... Any chance of pinning(sticky) this thread...I'm sure it will help a few other players out there...

#9 vipernest

vipernest
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:32 AM

Well done and thanks for the support :(
Tally-ho and good hunting!

#10 mike4

mike4

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Thanks thats helped me a lot,

Just a couple more questions - do you use the three modes? if so what for?
I noticiced that you cant set up the clutch button or the 2 buttons under the screen on the throttle in the profiler but you can set them up in the game.

Now I have done this but of course i'm not going to be able to declutch if i use modes and i dont know what effct this will have on the screen ( I'm still not sure what the screen really does apart from tell the time!)

could you advise a newbie to flight sims what you think please?

thanks again

Mike

#11 AncientSeraph

AncientSeraph

Former Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

Thanks thats helped me a lot,

Just a couple more questions - do you use the three modes? if so what for?
I noticiced that you cant set up the clutch button or the 2 buttons under the screen on the throttle in the profiler but you can set them up in the game.

Now I have done this but of course i'm not going to be able to declutch if i use modes and i dont know what effct this will have on the screen ( I'm still not sure what the screen really does apart from tell the time!)

could you advise a newbie to flight sims what you think please?

thanks again

Mike

I don't use different modes in WoP. You could use it differently for a bomber, but the difference between the settings is not that big.
I use the clutch just to check what function I assigned to what button. I just press the clutch, Trigger, and 'Machine Gun' appears on the screen. However, I don't fire them. As for the two buttons near the screen, I don't really use them much.
The screen is mainly for time, and displaying the names of the Profile loaded, function of a button pressed and the name of a mode. In FSX you can use it to tune radio stations etc, but nothing like that in WoP.

#12 habu42

habu42
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

Thanks, problem fixed.

#13 Fukande

Fukande
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:01 AM

is my joystick, the Thrustmaster T.16000M is supported?

#14 AncientSeraph

AncientSeraph

Former Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:35 AM

is my joystick, the Thrustmaster T.16000M is supported?

It should be.

#15 Deyrick

Deyrick

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

The T16000 is supported and has a default setup in the devices.
It works great, although i changed some of the button mappings (in Key Mapping) to my own preference.

Del

#16 Fukande

Fukande
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

The T16000 is supported and has a default setup in the devices.
It works great, although i changed some of the button mappings (in Key Mapping) to my own preference.

Del

I've found it!!! Thank you very much!
This joystick is maybe the most accurate on the market place and makes obsolete most of the pro ones. I highly recommend it!

Rgds

#17 Parkflieger

Parkflieger
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:33 AM

Your Game is great! :) Buyed the G940 just for flying your Game. :))
But the ForceFeedbackEffects dont work?Switches and Trimms are easy made.
Much better than in other Games.Good work. :huh:

Could you please, add the G940 to the device profile in your WingsOfPrey?

Thanks for that GREAT Game a lot! :D

#18 hypercide

hypercide

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:59 AM

I read somewhere, maybe here, maybe at SimHQ, that the controller protocols (or whatever) are in fact portovers from the console game. So . . . I plugged in my (gulp!) sons' Logitech USB gamepad and fired up the game. ALL the trim sensitivity issues are gone. The planes fly solidly. Yesterday, when I tried that first Battle of the Bulge mission with my x-52, I could not get that P51 to settle down; just now, with the gamepad it flew solidly. Also, mapping the camera axis to the left hand spring loaded stick-thing, and fiddling with the sensitivities gave me snap-views. My only "cheat" is not setting a rudder axis (ailerons/elevators on a single stick, I suppose just like in the console). and it doesn't really seem to matter. Now I've never used a gamepad for a sim, and trying to manage a plane with what amounts to a 3/4 inch joystick feels goofy, but it does work.

This might be obvious to the tech crowd, but my "experiment" does show something about the controller issues. WoP's trim settings apparently don't matter when the game recognizes a console-type gamepad, but trim routines get "activated" when is recognizes a joystick. Why?? Why not make that set of gamepad trim-free routines available to joystick users?? Quite frankly, if I want to goof with trim and mixture and prop and rpm, I'll fire up my FSX, track a VOR, do a standard procedure turn, and then shoot the ILS, in a crosswind. When I'm trying to get on the tail of a Bf109 at 250ft AGL, basic flight controls, flaps, and a trigger are more than enough for me.

Tim

#19 hypercide

hypercide

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:05 AM

Oh yeah, and I just realized that the T16000M works so well with the game because it was built for use with consoles: it's a gamepad dressed up to look like a joystick. That's why, not coincidentally, I guess, it works so perfectly with WoP.

I bet if I ran out and bought one, I would find the planes every bit as solid as they are with my sons' gamepad.

Bottom line: the joystick routines still need work.

#20 Land_Shark

Land_Shark

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

Thank you for this write-up. This is a great sim and I will support it to the end!

I am using a SUNCOM F-15/SFS HOTAS, which took a while to get running on a modern system, but it works great in Wings of Prey, with no programming issues, and with your explanation of Linearity, I have rock solid, accurate control. This sim ROCKS, and has the most realistic sensation of speed and environment I have ever seen. Great Job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users