32 replies to this topic

#1 vicwolf

vicwolf

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

Is anyone else getting sick of this exploit? By swapping weapon mods as you fire you can make your weapons do white damage that bypasses all defenses of the ship you hit. I've been playing all morning and not once have I had a game where the higher number that killed me wasn't a plasma sniper hitting me through all of my defense.

Is there even an acknowledgement of this exploit or should I just assume that we are supposed to be cheating?

#2 scruffyhobbit

scruffyhobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

What is white damage? The type I mean? I'm guessing red is thermal, blue EM, orange kinetic...white???

or is that damage dealt directly to the hull?

#3 vicwolf

vicwolf

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

What is white damage? The type I mean? I'm guessing red is thermal, blue EM, orange kinetic...white???

or is that damage dealt directly to the hull?

It's no type. It does the flat damage that the gun does and doesn't calculate any of the target's defense. I guess it would be the same "type" as collision but nothing can reduce it and it doesn't go through shields.

#4 Zerk1

Zerk1

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

This is not an exploit. It is just a visual misunderstanding. Laser dmg mechanics is continous, but UI shows it as white when you changes dmg type during one dps cycle. White damage just means that it is xx% of thermal and yy% of EMP xx+yy=100%. Damage is mitigating correctly by resistances, don't worry.

#5 vicwolf

vicwolf

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

This is not an exploit. It is just a visual misunderstanding. Laser dmg mechanics is continous, but UI shows it as white when you changes dmg type during one dps cycle. White damage just means that it is xx% of thermal and yy% of EMP xx+yy=100%. Damage is mitigating correctly by resistances, don't worry.

No, it very much is an exploit and is not mitigating AT ALL.

While it is easier to manually do this with lasers due to their rate of fire, you can program a macro to do this at the rate of any weapon (sniper plasma is the easiest). Do this continuously on the same target's shields and you will notice a very different level of damage between white and every other damage type, especially if the target has resists.

#6 Syameimaru

Syameimaru

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

If that were true, Zerk, wouldn't it show up as split between thermal and EM on the after-death result screen?

Just started using this with my lasers, noticing a massive DPS increase. I guess resistances are pointless until this is resolved.

#7 vicwolf

vicwolf

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

If that were true, Zerk, wouldn't it show up as split between thermal and EM on the after-death result screen?

Just started using this with my lasers, noticing a massive DPS increase. I guess resistances are pointless until this is resolved.

The most galling thing is that nobody seems to want to acknowledge this is happening.

#8 Zerk1

Zerk1

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

We tested this very carefully. You are noticing a massive DPS increase because of different resistances to EMP and thermal of your target. Try to shoot at target with equal resistanse stats and you'll notice the same amounts of damage with thermal, EMP(slightly higher because of lens bonus +dmg) and white(slightly lower than EMP ones because of lower EMP uptime).

#9 Keyeote

Keyeote
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

will you take screenshots or a video ?

#10 HammasHaukka

HammasHaukka

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

We tested this very carefully. You are noticing a massive DPS increase because of different resistances to EMP and thermal of your target. Try to shoot at target with equal resistanse stats and you'll notice the same amounts of damage with thermal, EMP(slightly higher because of lens bonus +dmg) and white(slightly lower than EMP ones because of lower EMP uptime).

^

That. Except for the "we". I have no idea who "we" is.

Also doesn't belong in this forum but in Open-Beta forum. Since you don't have any of the tools to determine whether the dps actually increases to ignore all resistances, all you can do is report it to the GM's who will then report it to the Admins (or you learn russian and report it to the admins).

I might come off as arrogant, rude and conceited. That's because it's true. It doesn't mean I intend to offend you personally, That's just the way I am when I am annoyed and I don't intend to change. On the upside you really have to be trying hard to get me annoyed with you.

#11 NTT

NTT

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

post logs (with /set cl_combatLog 3)

#12 8D_Stigez

8D_Stigez

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

The damage doesn't change, the numbers are just white, thats all.

Just tested this myself.

Paisti CEO

#13 TooMuchCoffeeMan

TooMuchCoffeeMan

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

^

That. Except for the "we". I have no idea who "we" is.

Also doesn't belong in this forum but in Open-Beta forum. Since you don't have any of the tools to determine whether the dps actually increases to ignore all resistances, all you can do is report it to the GM's who will then report it to the Admins (or you learn russian and report it to the admins).

or the admins learn english and wont see their game die ????

hahah, the assumption of you telling someone else that he needs to learn some language that nobody cares about, is kinda narcistic..... the game will die off, or it wont, its in their hands....... and with them i mean the devs.

#14 Dievan

Dievan

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

No one is going to take this thread seriously without some proof.

Also this has never happened to me...

#15 DryEagle

DryEagle

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

The white damage when swapping ammo takes resistance and damage bonus from the new ammo type you're changing to. It just doesn't show the correct colour. It is not unmitigated damage.

#16 vicwolf

vicwolf

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

post logs (with /set cl_combatLog 3)

How does this work?

#17 NTT

NTT

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

How does this work?

Simple. just type that command while in hangar. Play a match, then look at the game.log. You'll see stuff like this:

21:21:16.975        | Combat: damage           Entity ->      Starchild75  36.61 Weapon_Laser_Economic_T3_Mk3 DMG_EMP|DMG_PRIMARY_WEAPON

Which is me shooting someone with Pulse Lasers T3 Mk.III, doing EM damage (due to weapon mod)

At a guess, "White" damage would likely appear as DMG_GENERIC like in this succesful Microwarp assassination attempt:

21:29:44.975        | Combat: damage           Entity ->        viperyne1 49375.79 (crash) DMG_GENERIC|DMG_COLLISION|DMG_IGNORE_DAMAGE_SCALE|DMG_IGNORE_SH

If the "white" hits still have DMG_THERMAL / DMG_EMP / DMG_KINETIC in their flags, then it's just a visual glitch.

Edit: you may not want to have that detailed log option on at all times though. The logs can get rather big and may cause a slight performance hit.

#18 HammasHaukka

HammasHaukka

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

or the admins learn english and wont see their game die ????

hahah, the assumption of you telling someone else that he needs to learn some language that nobody cares about, is kinda narcistic..... the game will die off, or it wont, its in their hands....... and with them i mean the devs.

First off it's a russian game.

Second Russian is a world language and quite a lot of people do care about it.

Third we do have an english Admin who doesn't have 3000 eyes and all the time in the world tho.

Fourth I didn't tell anyone to learn russian, I just said that if you want to report directly to the devs you'd have to do that.

How does this work?

it's a chat command. After using it enter a battle, go to Documents/My Games/Star Conflict/logs. Select the appropriate order (identifiable by time stamp) and upload the game file

*edit* sorry NTT didn't see your post

I might come off as arrogant, rude and conceited. That's because it's true. It doesn't mean I intend to offend you personally, That's just the way I am when I am annoyed and I don't intend to change. On the upside you really have to be trying hard to get me annoyed with you.

#19 vicwolf

vicwolf

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

So quick example to prove the point here:

12:03:39.793        | Combat: damage        drAspirin ->          vicwolf 649.60 Weapon_Plasmagun_Basic_T2_Mk3 DMG_EMP|DMG_PRIMARY_WEAPON

Setup of the situation, we're both in jerry frigs. No debuffs or buffs active on me. Lets be generous here and assume that he was hitting my shield lowest resist of 27 to EM; this should give me a resist of 7.3% to EMP damage. This would mean his normal plasma gun ('hail' is sniper and rapid is autofire) would have to be doing about 700 a shot base damage. Now I don't have the best gear possible to optimize damage but I know that this isn't possible with the normal plasma gun even from a frigate, even with a fighter giving him the damage buff.

So no, the white damage does not display in the combat log differently. It is however doing MUCH more damage than it should be considering resists.

Comparitively, this is damage I received that did not display as white in game:

12:03:42.508        | Combat: damage        drAspirin ->          vicwolf 573.75 Weapon_Plasmagun_Basic_T2_Mk3 DMG_KINETIC|DMG_PRIMARY_WEAPON

Now, my hull has even lower kinetic resists than my shields have EM resist (15 vs 27 respectively). If you see an error in my math here please point it out, the point being that you should be able to see that damage I am reporting as white is significantly higher than resists indicate that it should be. I will try to get better documentation of this but it is a very serious and very gamebreaking issue right now.

#20 NTT

NTT

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

So quick example to prove the point here:

12:03:39.793        | Combat: damage        drAspirin ->          vicwolf 649.60 Weapon_Plasmagun_Basic_T2_Mk3 DMG_EMP|DMG_PRIMARY_WEAPON

Setup of the situation, we're both in jerry frigs. No debuffs or buffs active on me. Lets be generous here and assume that he was hitting my shield lowest resist of 27 to EM; this should give me a resist of 27% to EMP damage. This would mean his normal plasma gun ('hail' is sniper and rapid is autofire) would have to be doing about 890 a shot base damage. Now I don't have the best gear possible to optimize damage but I know that this isn't possible with the normal plasma gun even from a frigate, even with a fighter giving him the damage buff.

So no, the white damage does not display in the combat log differently. It is however doing MUCH more damage than it should be considering resists.

27 EM resist is ~22% less damage, not 27%.

Also, frigates have 6 guns, so each "shot" potentially does 6 times the damage listed on the weapon's information panel.

So, nothing out of the ordinary here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users