48 replies to this topic

#1 Zakzak

Zakzak

All by myself

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Every day more and more new people join our community. Newcomers are always eager to fly and take part in massive aerial combats.
Unfortunately, only few actually know how to do that
That's why we will publish some important advices that experienced virtual pilots - War Thunder Alpha-testers - agreed to share with the community.

Posted Image

11GloDark7

A basic flight/combat guide for War Thunder

Unlike your average FPS, there is considerably more skill involved in getting those shots on target with a WWII combat flight sim. It is not simply a case of pointing your mouse at the enemy and clicking (when in a position to do so), your method of targeting here is much more involved. If you haven't already, you need to understand the basic principles of flight and learn (with practice) how to get your aircraft moving along a path that you decide and have your nose pointing in the direction you wish to fire. This may sound easy but for the uninitiated this can be quite difficult. There is a learning curve and the first steps can bevery frustrating. The key is practice.

Posted Image

The movable parts of your aircraft's wings and tail are called the control surfaces. It is thesethat need to be manipulated in order to get you moving in the right direction during flight. For the greatest accuracy and control the best method of control will be a joystick (flight stick for those who take it more seriously!). There are some who have become very skilled with game controllers such as those forthe 360 and PS3 consoles, but there really is no match for a quality stick.Prices vary wildly and you will need to do some research in finding what is right for you.

Posted Image

There is no question that whatever you decide upon you must have some means of controlling your aircraft's rudder. This is essential for accuracy in combat. Moving a stick left and right will control your aircraft's roll with ailerons (attached to the wings) allowing you to bank left and right. Moving your stick backwards and forwards will make your aircraft pitch up and down with the elevator (horizontal part of the tail) allowing you to climb or dive. The rudder isusually controlled with pedals or more commonly (with flight sims) a 'twist-rudder' joystick. If you are not getting pedals then a 'twist-rudder' joystick is essential. Rudder controls the horizontal direction of your aircraft's nose (yaw) and this will help enormously with fine-tuning your aimin combat. It would also be of benefit for your controller to have some form of throttle control.

All of the control surfaces used in the right combination at varying degrees and with the right amount of power will have going where you need. Either chasing after the enemy or escaping from him!

Posted Image
____MACADEMIC

3 tips for beginners

Hello newcomers and welcome to the wonderful world of flying and WWII aerial combat. I'd like to join some fellow friends and expert virtual pilots in giving you some starter tips. If you listen to some of the advice available here and on the forum and keep practicing, before you know it you'll become anAce yourself. But be aware that learning never stops and the sky is the limit!

1. learn to fly

Unlike in real life in War Thunder you can do learning by doing, so just jump right into some aircraft and take it up for a flight. Learn how your flight controls all interact with each other and get used to the freedom of moving through the three dimensions. Soon you will find that this freedom is only limited by the capability of your aircraft and by the skill of you as the pilot. And you will understand why there's an old wisdom among flyers: 'Speed is life'.

Posted Image

2. learn to shoot

Aerial shooting isan art that needs a lot of skill and practice to master. When you first go into battle you may find yourself more of a target than a hunter, but your experience will grow with every flight. Your gun aiming distance is where you will have the greatest firepower since at that distance all your bullets will come together in one small area, so if you're firing at an opponent from this distance your chances of doing damage are the greatest. Learn deflection shooting, this is very important. Since you and your opponent are moving very fast through the air, you have to take your own and your opponent's movements, your speeds and your relative angles toward each other into account, so that your bullets and the opponent's aircraft arrive at the same time at the same place - and depending on all factors you have to aim and shoot ahead of your opponent's flight path to hit him. At the same time you have to learn to keep acool head and keep your own aircraft steady and maneuver very smoothly, your chances of scoring hits will increase greatly.

Posted Image

3. learn to win

To quote a famous saying of WWII figher aces, there is nothing more confusing than aerial combat. In one moment the sky may be full of airplanes in all directions, the next youfind your self alone and wonder where everyone is. Learn to weigh the risks and benefits of every confrontation, position yourself so that the odds are in your favour and engage only when you have the advantage. Luckily you have no more to lose in the game than your pride, so enjoy your learning by doing. You will beshot down often in the beginning, but the more experienced you become, the more situational awareness you will have and the higher your chances to leave the battlefield as the winner.

Have fun with War Thunder, and I hope to meet you in the sky!

MAC

develop_sign_1.png

#2 Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:23 AM

Those screengrabs are lovely.
"Bunch of monkeys on the ceiling, sir! Grab your egg and fours and let's get the bacon delivered!"

Posted Image
i5 2500K 3.3GHz
ASUS GTX 560 Ti
P8P67 Pro

#3 gameshoes3003

gameshoes3003

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:21 AM

Nice.
Posted Image

#4 GapCracker

GapCracker
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

Not to be antagonistic but geez... after all the hype, and telling us the game would be here what, a month ago? What is the point in GLO/MAC's overviews being posted, when there is no game for the overviews to reference? No offense guys... Just sayin... the overview is proper, and I agree with everything that it says... but the overview is written as if there is a game to be played (publicly). Gaijin putting this out there now is not only confusing, but I think its slightly insulting/inflammatory to those of us that have been signed up for months and all we're getting is tidbits here and there showing us what we're missing. I think its fair to say that most of the people that are following the forums atm know how to play a flight sim... seems most of us are loyal Gaijin followers. Maybe its just me, but I feel like we are being poorly placated, and GLO/MAC's spot on overview is kind of like sand in the face being that there is no game to be played yet.
Again, no offense to the guys... the overview is good. Just seems extremely premature.
Tired of waiting lol.Posted Image

#5 Rogues_Pistolero

Rogues_Pistolero

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Interests:Make Friends and Virtual Enemies in WoPrey and War Thunder

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

Very close my friend, I think, this kind of information tells me that it is a little more closer than it appears :yes_yes: , meanwhile we have WoPrey if you already have it, at least you will not get boring, :fighter_light: but if not please download WoPrey demo, you will enjoy it...Saludos :salute:

beta_sign_1.png             spaceout.gif

No matter you win, no matter you lose! Just fight, Have Fun!

Rogues_Pistolero :salute:

#6 Redjevel

Redjevel

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Same as you... ;p

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

Love the screenshots, game looks beautiful. Hope gameplay is good too.
Posted Image

#7 hawkdrvr09

hawkdrvr09

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Flying, real and sim.
    US Military Maintenance Test Pilot, 23 years.
    FAA Commercial Instrument Rotary/Fixed Wing Pilot.
    Started sim flight with FS1 on a TRS 80 in 1981, then Flight Simulator 1.0 on an IBM XT. Father was a multimedia VP with IBM.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

MAC, you are right, speed is life, altitude is easy to gainin route to the fight, and hard to regain once lost in the fight, altitude canhelp you regain speed lost. Take a look at the paint scheme on your aircraft,use it to your advantage, airplanes from that era are typically painted on topto match the foliage of the earth, depending on the country you’re flying for,and gray on the bottom to make you more difficult to spot from a lower altitudelooking up into the sky. Take for instance the Supermarine Spitfire, it used anazure paint scheme on the bottom. Azure provided better camouflage in theMediterranean than either the "sky" or "medium sea grey"schemes used in Northern Europe. Also, the sun, use the sun to your advantage,it's not like other light sources that can silhouette you, there is a reason wecan't look directly in the sun, use that, keep yourself between the son andyour enemy, you'll see him, but he'll never be able to see you. Glo isabsolutely right on rudder, read accounts of world war two aces, they use thestick to get the aircraft in the general position to fire, and use the rudderto “fine tune” or walk the bullets up the wing or fuselage to the cockpit. Thelast thing, if there is cloud cover, and to date I haven't seen much in WoP,use it, if someone is on your tail, if you can maneuver away long enough toenter the clouds, you can't shoot what you can't see. Anyone whose flown in theclouds before, there is a reason they call it IMC or instrument meteorologicalconditions, you're not going to see anything outside your cockpit, and neitherwill your foe.

All that being said, I will be the guy that you can shoot down, ha-ha, see you in the skies.

hawkdrvr09

#8 OzSFsarge

OzSFsarge

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:WW2, Aviation, Warfare, Video Games, Simulations, Air Combat,

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

heres a tip people although i have not been lucky enuff to enter WoP make friends with some ppl invest a little in in a microphone and get your mates together go on some practice flights in friendly territory practice dogfighting your friends and if youve got your self a regular group practice formation flying especialy if you fly bombers that way ur best bombardier can lead the flight and every one drops on his crew this is how it worked in real life in most heavy bomber and medium bomber squadrons attack missions are difrent and dont rely on the bombardier so much as they usualy would split up in pairs and make runs from difrent dirrection to weaken the attack strength of AA i will soon be posting some videos using il-2 1946 showing such things mentioned

Posted Image

#9 KingmanRoss

KingmanRoss

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Hike,camp,GwM,not intrusive on anyone,video games,my PC Repair.

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

heres a tip people although i have not been lucky enuff to enter WoP make friends with some ppl invest a little in in a microphone and get your mates together go on some practice flights in friendly territory practice dogfighting your friends and if youve got your self a regular group practice formation flying especialy if you fly bombers that way ur best bombardier can lead the flight and every one drops on his crew this is how it worked in real life in most heavy bomber and medium bomber squadrons attack missions are difrent and dont rely on the bombardier so much as they usualy would split up in pairs and make runs from difrent dirrection to weaken the attack strength of AA i will soon be posting some videos using il-2 1946 showing such things mentioned

I use Ventrilo to talk with as it is easier than Teamspeak but if needed,I can install TS,tho my preference is Vent.Also,FYI-you do not have to be in a game to talk to one another,after all,what better way to get to know each other than "communicating" ?:wop:
AMD Athlon™ 7750 Dual-Core-2.7 GHz
ASUS ENGT 430(1gb ddr3)
4.0 GB-DDR2
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit
1 TB HDD
20" AOC widescreen Monitor

#10 JPCarvalhinho

JPCarvalhinho
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:39 AM

Finally a flight sim where the controls aren't operated by a ghost. :) YAYYy!
The Book of Jedisis

In the beginning, there was Air Warrior, and it was good, And many partook thereof, and became Dweebs, and were smiteth repeatedly from on high by the Gods, and were vulcheth by other Dweebs, and were feared by the C-lander Runstangs.

#11 SlowFlyer

SlowFlyer

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:I own a dying Hobby Shop-2 R/C tracks and R/C Flying field with NS and EW runways-I like NASCAR Racing , F1 Racing & Flying R/C and Full Scale

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

!!!!!!???????

#12 JPCarvalhinho

JPCarvalhinho
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

Well...

Usualy on flight sims you don't have legs or arms... just the stick and rudder pedals moving along by themselves :)

JPC

!!!!!!???????

The Book of Jedisis

In the beginning, there was Air Warrior, and it was good, And many partook thereof, and became Dweebs, and were smiteth repeatedly from on high by the Gods, and were vulcheth by other Dweebs, and were feared by the C-lander Runstangs.

#13 Jimko

Jimko

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Flight sims, reading, hiking, travel.

More info on my "About Me" tab.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

Finally a flight sim where the controls aren't operated by a ghost. :) YAYYy!

I'll celebrate that one with you, JPC!

:good:
"The older we are, the better we were!"

#14 Rocketbirds

Rocketbirds
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Thank you MACADEMIC & GloDark7 for your tips.
Thank you to Zakzak for publication.
It is very important to know
Tips translated for the French fansite.
French community !!! www.warthunder.fr

#15 beakgeek

beakgeek

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

I would love to see better tips given for beginners. Things like how to add more planes to your plane set, how to train crews for the different planes, etc. There also needs to be a room for beginners that does not have level 17 players with the best planes preying on newbies.

#16 Scarper

Scarper

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

+1 Good Idea Zakzak/Glo/Mac.

*Use your throttle controls, don't fly about the sky's at max throttle when your in a joust, blip that throttle up and down, you will turn tighter in a fighter with less speed.
*Use your flaps, know what they do and when to do it.
*Know your aircraft, when it stalls, what it's climb is like, use the aircraft you are flying to it's best effect.
*Know your enemies aircraft, exploit it's weaknesses.
*Plan your attacks, stalk your prey, spend some time watching his moves, then pounce.
*Avoid head on's unless you can guarantee a win.
*Watch your fire, if their is an friendly between enemy and you, don't rip your comrade apart to get to him.
*Be honourable, don't insult and abuse, make friends not enemies, at the end of the day, we are here for the fun, not the rage.
*Improve your crew's rearm and repair
*Learn to fly through Blackout's and Redout's.
*Take control of the gunner's position
*Use the Radar when available, watch for that sneaky guy coming up behind you.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

http://forum.gaijinent.com/index.php?/topic/13187-head2head-h2h-english-speaking-clan/

http://h2hclan.net/portal.php

#17 Nixou

Nixou

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

There also needs to be a room for beginners that does not have level 17 players with the best planes preying on newbies.

Indeed this game needs matchmaking and balancing, hence it's a beta.

I'm playing where everyone is (russian arcade servers) and when I watch other players in my replays I see that many have absolutely no idea about deflection shooting and leading (aiming ahead). The best advice to be given to new players would be tutorial to shoot ahead of the target, so that they avoid spending 99% of their ammo in the void

#18 Mule

Mule

Flying officer

• WT Alpha Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Interests:Flight Modelling for WarThunder

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

I'm playing where everyone is (russian arcade servers) and when I watch other players in my replays I see that many have absolutely no idea about deflection shooting and leading (aiming ahead). The best advice to be given to new players would be tutorial to shoot ahead of the target, so that they avoid spending 99% of their ammo in the void

Because the aim-assist/lead-indicator which literally shows you where to aim in Arcade isn't enough of a clue?

warthunderSig.png

Visit the WarThunder Wiki today!

#19 Nixou

Nixou

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Because the aim-assist/lead-indicator which literally shows you where to aim in Arcade isn't enough of a clue?

It looks like new players don't understand they have to shoot at that point and not directly at the aircraft. I saw once a P51 not aiming properly which makes me wonder how they arrived that far without this basic knowledge.

People aiming half decently is rather an exception, but people talking on forums are an exception too so actually making a tutorial would maybe be pure loss

P.S: This reminded me of Maus players with 15000 battles on world of tanks having no idea about angling the tank. Well some people will never learn unfortunately

#20 Robotic_Pope

Robotic_Pope

Air marshal

• Gaijin Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
  • Interests:Military Aircraft
    WWII history
    Formula One
    The NHL
    Video Games and Simulations
    Astronomy

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

Indeed this game needs matchmaking and balancing, hence it's a beta.

I think you are mostly seeing time delay though. In a replay you will see other people's bullets lagging behind where they actually shot.

Newsig.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)