25 replies to this topic

#1 CrashLanding

CrashLanding

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

I noticed in the options that you can change your gun targeting distance, which I believe to be where the rounds converge. I've also noticed that I can't hit the broad side of a barn with the guns in BoS. If I try to fly/shoot like I did in BoP, I hit nothing. Anyone know what the sight distance was set up for in BoP or what the ideal distance is in this?

Best I can tell, if I want to hit my target, I have to engage them inside the distance that my sights are set to.

#2 McQ

McQ

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Multiple

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

Nice. This sounds so good! Goodbye to the spray&pray aproach...

Will the game let you set your sights or convergense?

WTFRB_zps2a4317fa.pngSeaFurysigIV_zps07ff9c1f.jpg

#3 mavrickandgoose

mavrickandgoose

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

It sets the zero or convergence and if anyone figures out how to shoot in this game please let me know the best I have done is 3 kills in a game and it's not goodbye to spray and prey now it's ALL spray and prey and hope to god you hit something
The burning fuselages of my enimies shall serve as evidence of my passing

#4 StiC

StiC

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Awesome! They use convergence too! Is there also an option to adjust the size of your reticle?

This could be why Mav is having so much trouble at .2 Km
Posted Image

#5 mavrickandgoose

mavrickandgoose

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Nope can't adjust size and the tracers and vapor trail is so big most the time you can't even see what your shooting at
The burning fuselages of my enimies shall serve as evidence of my passing

#6 Robotic_Pope

Robotic_Pope

Air marshal

• Gaijin Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Interests:Military Aircraft
    WWII history
    Formula One
    The NHL
    Video Games and Simulations
    Astronomy

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

I noticed in the options that you can change your gun targeting distance, which I believe to be where the rounds converge. I've also noticed that I can't hit the broad side of a barn with the guns in BoS. If I try to fly/shoot like I did in BoP, I hit nothing. Anyone know what the sight distance was set up for in BoP or what the ideal distance is in this?

Best I can tell, if I want to hit my target, I have to engage them inside the distance that my sights are set to.

http://forum.1cpubli...gun convergance
Aparently planes with wing mounted weapons were set to converge at 300 yards in BoP, although nobody was really sure if this worked properly or not. Maybe that is what is happening here in BoS, properly working gun convergence along with more realistic bullet drop??

Newsig.jpg

#7 Praetor_354

Praetor_354

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

I've had good results with 400 which is where I engage at. Shot placement is pretty important too. Keep steady and dont get near the rudder as you fire unless it's sensitivity is less than 1/3. My 2ยข
Semper Fi!
Praetor_354
Posted Image

#8 Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

I noticed in the options that you can change your gun targeting distance,

:o ...and I feared they were going to make the game more arcade. That's awesome news.

In CLoD I usually set the convergence to 150yards.
"Bunch of monkeys on the ceiling, sir! Grab your egg and fours and let's get the bacon delivered!"

Posted Image
i5 2500K 3.3GHz
ASUS GTX 560 Ti
P8P67 Pro

#9 Wutang85

Wutang85

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

:o ...and I feared they were going to make the game more arcade. That's awesome news.

In CLoD I usually set the convergence to 150yards.

If anything, from what I noticed is that it's a bit harder to shoot planes down in this game. I think it's a good thing because even on Simplistic it takes skill. I've been having trouble too but I played a few games earlier and I think I'm getting the hang of it.

You really need to wait until you get a clear shot infront my leading or if you can line it up and the crosshairs start lighting up red..

I find it's best to do short bursts, you can't spray as much as you could in BOP.

I've gotten kills at all sorts of distances and missed shots literally 15 ft away..lol it happens but i'm getting better and more used to line up the shots. I find it easier not to lock on with A just use the sight that you have on full plane view.

#10 Praetor_354

Praetor_354

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

I took someone down this morning at 1.5k. with a 1sec burst. Lucky shot! Getting adequate hits closer than 100 has been a problem though.
Semper Fi!
Praetor_354
Posted Image

#11 CrashLanding

CrashLanding

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:34 AM

I guess part of my problem is the settings are listed in meters while change all of my readouts to show in feet/mph. Need to figure the conversion so I have a better idea where my rounds are going to hit.

#12 wakespeak

wakespeak

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:WW 2 Aviation

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

Convergence settings! Awesome. The realism factor looks to be fantastic. Hurry up Amazon!

This was the problem with the p-47 in BOP. Convergence set out too far.
Posted Image

#13 Wutang85

Wutang85

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:30 AM

OK now I get these settings. Never noticed them before the last game I played about 10 min ago.

Mine I think are by default set to 500.

What does setting them lower do ?

What does setting them higher do ?

If it's at 500 does that mean it's easier to aim from 500 and under.....

Or is it easier to aim at 500 and higher ?

I just like the fact they put it in game....gives players another way to customize how they play.

#14 StiC

StiC

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

OK now I get these settings. Never noticed them before the last game I played about 10 min ago.

Mine I think are by default set to 500.

What does setting them lower do ?

What does setting them higher do ?

If it's at 500 does that mean it's easier to aim from 500 and under.....

Or is it easier to aim at 500 and higher ?

I just like the fact they put it in game....gives players another way to customize how they play.

The number in the settings, 500 by default, is how far in front of your plane the bullets will cross one another. Also known as convergence.
At 500 metres(?) all your bullets will hit the target in a tight cluster and do some major damage.
Posted Image

#15 CrashLanding

CrashLanding

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

I figured out that 500 meters is about 1,700 feet for those of you that change your distance to Imperial units. That's actually about right, though I know I let some shots fly at 2,000+ feet. Though I probably shouldn't be firing from that far away, I might consider bumping the convergence up. On the other hand, when I slip inside 1,000 feet, the default convergence of 500 meters can cause me some trouble. Hmmmm...

#16 Wutang85

Wutang85

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

The number in the settings, 500 by default, is how far in front of your plane the bullets will cross one another. Also known as convergence.
At 500 metres(?) all your bullets will hit the target in a tight cluster and do some major damage.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you suggest lowering or raising the Convergence level ? or is 500 pretty standard ? I can't tell yet if it makes that much of a difference but I used a plane with one at 400 but I did not really notice a difference.

#17 Robotic_Pope

Robotic_Pope

Air marshal

• Gaijin Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Interests:Military Aircraft
    WWII history
    Formula One
    The NHL
    Video Games and Simulations
    Astronomy

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Do you suggest lowering or raising the Convergence level ? or is 500 pretty standard ? I can't tell yet if it makes that much of a difference but I used a plane with one at 400 but I did not really notice a difference.

500m seems what you would want for attacking ground targets maybe. For fighters I would go much lower 250m maybe even lower.

For a plane with fueslage guns grouped close together you can probably go much further out though.

Newsig.jpg

#18 CrashLanding

CrashLanding

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

I've decided that an AC with cannons is a game changer. Once I figured out the targeting distance and used craft with a cannon, the game doesn't feel quite as hard.

#19 StiC

StiC

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for the reply.

What I would do is find someone to fly and work with and the line up behind them until their wingtips just touch the inside of your reticle. Now get the distance reading from your hud and use that as your convergence.

Just understand though that a bomber twice as wide as a fighter will also be twice as wide as the reticle at the point of convergence. You decide which aircraft to use for reference.
Posted Image

#20 Doktorwyzzerd1

Doktorwyzzerd1

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

I remember reading that veteran IL-2 players like setting them pretty close for air to air, around 200m as the best way (recommended by real WW2 pilots too btw) to be accurate and get kills is to get in close before firing. A single engine plane at 200m fills up your gunsight from wingtip to wingtip, roughly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users