#1 redknightsoh5

redknightsoh5

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

THIS POST EDITED.

HERE ARE YOUR STARTING POINT SETTINGS FOR ANYONE HAVING TROUBLE SETTING UP YOUR Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Flight Stick

Hotas X Settings

#2 Hellman

Hellman

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

I put this in the General area, but maybe it belongs here.

WHY... is a flight sim game so difficult to use with a Flight Stick? WHY... has this game developer done so poorly making over a dozen Flight Sticks sets to choose from, but so limited to set up? I won't play this game with a Sony Hand Controller.... Now to the issues at hand.

Can I get some help before my friends return BOS and their new Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Flight Sticks?

For the PS3 version of BOS... what's the trick to getting your personal button settings to work on the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Flight Stick?

I've asked this in several threads and only today got some help. Some players have said they have made the personal Stick settings work... but none of mine work. I've got the correct Flight Stick selected in the BOS Stick panel. My button settings are showing as set and saved each time I go into the Stick panel settings... but they don't work in game.

The BOS manual is useless. And there is no step-by-step help for using this game... and now players are talking about making their own manual and posting it here!! I have friends that bought BOS because of my recommendations and they are getting a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Flight Stick and I can't help them. If they make the purchase of BOS and they can't use their new Hotas X as it's said to work with BOS... they will return the game or sell it for used.

Some help and suggestions please! This will also help some players with the same issue as me.

Have you played through the tutorial yet? I think you need to complete it first with the regular sony controller before you can set-up your stick.

Hope this helps.

#3 redknightsoh5

redknightsoh5

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Have you played through the tutorial yet? I think you need to complete it first with the regular sony controller before you can set-up your stick.

Hope this helps.

NOTE: This is for the PS3

I hope that is not the case. Why would the player... be forced to first use the Sony toy hand controller, that is already difficult to use with a flying sim... after the user bought this game and a new Flight Stick to use with it. That's just ridiculous!! What possible reason, would the BOS's game developers do this??? Why do we have to EARN the right to use our New Flight Stick first, after first being forced to use Sony's toy hand controller in it's BOS tutorial... that was already difficult to find... first? BOS has now cost me over $100 just to play this game, due to the cost of the game and the Flight Stick. I have a number of friends in my current situation that will return BOS and their Flight Stick Controller over this debacle.

And yes... I did finish the tutorial... with my new Flight Stick! I have no intention to use the toy hand controller with this game.... why would I?. The developer build in and included the settings for about a dozen over the shelf Flight Sticks you can buy and use with this game.

If this is the way Gaikin builds games... BOS will be a major disappointment for new players that bought Birds of Steel. The manual is bad enough with NO information how to set up and use this new game. The game states to go to this website for more information how to use and play this game. And there IS NO Gaikin Game Developer information that I can find... except for other players that bought BOS having the same issues and are now pleading for help. WHY IS THE DEVELOPER OF THIS GAME LEAVING IT'S USERS IN THE DARK??? We paid good money for BOS... where's the Technical Support and online manual? Why are the players here on this BOS forum... that bought Birds of Steel... now talking about making their own User Manual... since Gaikin couldn't be bothered to make one themselves??

I now request Gaikin to patch and fix this at once if this is true!! I wouldn't have bought BOS knowing this in advance! My new Flight Stick worked perfectly with Birds of Prey as I bought a used copy of BOP to test the new Thrustmaster Stick and get ready for Birds of Steel.

BOS Technical Support.... you have an obligation to make clear what you have done to us that have chosen to use a Flight Stick... with a FLYING GAME!!! ARE YOU READING THIS? This is a Customer Service Support issue for you!

You also have an
obligation to supply a COMPLETE online User Manual how to use your game and set up a new Flight Stick that you show support for in Birds of Steel!

I would like an answer ASAP in this thread!

#4 Hicks

Hicks

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:WW2, Warbirds, Technology military, Videogames...

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

I don´t know. I have the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Flight Stick, and I haven´t any problem Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Hellman

Hellman

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

BOS Technical Support.... you have an obligation to make clear what you have done to us that have chosen to use a Flight Stick... with a FLYING GAME!!! ARE YOU READING THIS? This is a Customer Service Support issue for you!

You also have an
obligation to supply a COMPLETE online User Manual how to use your game and set up a new Flight Stick that you show support for in Birds of Prey!

I agree with many of your points. If you are going to make claims and compare yourself to a sim then by all means make the Joystick profiles at least work out of the box. On the other hand this is a console game and we, the naysayers, should all recognize this.

The menus are hard to navigate and there definitely should have been a manual and some regarding the setting up of the mappings (especially for those new to this). I spent 3 days figuring out how to setup my jstick instead of playing the game. I assume this game helps fund the bigger F2P sim, World of Planes, which they are working on which seems to be delayed (I signed up for the beta 6 mos. ago). My main gripe is that the Campaign isn't that great and that you need Lion Money to unlock planes which you can only do in a few modes. I do think this game has some great possibilities but I'm not sure this is what I was looking for to fill the online void for WW2 flying. I don't usually purchase games out of the gate but since I am a avid flight simmer....I jumped in. I should have waited a couple of weeks. I hope a patch will address these issues and an online manual will come soon.

#6 redknightsoh5

redknightsoh5

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

CORRECTION: You also have an obligation to supply a COMPLETE online User Manual how to use your game and set up a new Flight Stick that you show support for in Birds of STEEL!

#7 ndr70

ndr70

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:My Wife, movies, cycling, sci-fi, cooking, WW 1 & 2 planes and ships, old military rifles, BoP and BoS

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

I have the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas x and it works fine.

Try this:

1. turn off your PS3
2. put the switch of the flightstick to PS3
3. plug the flightstick
4. turn on the PS3 (don't turn on the duashock)
5. load the game
6. go in to the main menu
7. select EXTRA
8. select OPTIONS
9. select CONTROLS
10. press the "square" button (is the button n. 5 on the throttle stick)
11. now select the stick
12. press L1 to map your controls

After mapping controls, if you change your device (from flightstick to standard controller) all your mapping scheme will be deleted.

#8 redknightsoh5

redknightsoh5

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Try this:

1. turn off your PS3
3. plug the flightstick
5. load the game
7. select EXTRA
8. select OPTIONS
9. select CONTROLS
11. now select the stick

After mapping controls, if you change your device (from flightstick to standard controller) all your mapping scheme will be deleted.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try this all again, but this is the process I've been using since I purchased BOS to set up my Flight Stick. Others here have made nearly the same comments to make the Thrustmaster work correctly. I talked to one Hotas X Flight Stick user last night... and he tried for over 3 hours using this method to set up his Flight Stick and no joy for him. For the Stick users here... it seems to be Trial and Error to discover how to make BOS work with a Stick. This must be embarrassing for this game developer to leave their customers hanging in the wind like this!!

It's just shameful, this game developer can't take the time to support and explain how to use Birds of Steel with a complete manual and document how to set up a Flight Stick they support for their new game. I'm trying to be respectful in this issue here.... but I've NEVER experienced owning a PS3 game where upon it's relese to the public... the developer has gone silent and MIA, supporting their game. Even with Socom4... the worst Socom game ever released by Zipper... they were at least there, in their Forums everyday, trying to help their customers work out problems, supporting issues with the game, suggestions working out problems, letting their customers know what fixes were coming, delivering patches ASAP and taking responsibility for broken issues that needed fixing.

In talking to the Birds of Prey owners... they had many of the same issues with BOP they are having with Birds of Steel. Little developer support and only one patch after purchasing Birds of Prey. The BOP players seem to feel lucky they even had a Flight Sim on the PS3 and were willing to except below standard sub-par support and they just played BOP accepting the games issues as best they could. When I purchase a PS3 game... I don't accept a broken game with little to no support from it's developer! This aviation community is very polite and it's players do everything possible to help other BOP and BOS players to use this game... but I ask each of you, not to accept or take a back seat, when you spend your hard earned money to purchase a game... and then be expected to do the game developers job trying to find ways to support this games technical weaknesses... and giving technical support to other players. That's not our job.

ndr70... I will report back if this works. Also... My Hotas X Flight Stick is not defective. The Stick worked perfectly in Birds of Prey and other games I tested it with.

BOS Technical Support.... where are you in addressing this online manual and support issues?

#9 ndr70

ndr70

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:My Wife, movies, cycling, sci-fi, cooking, WW 1 & 2 planes and ships, old military rifles, BoP and BoS

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Can you post some screenshots of all your control settings?
I mean not only the controls but also the axis assignments.

(sorry for my very poor English)

#10 wakespeak

wakespeak

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:WW 2 Aviation

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

I use the T. Flight Hotas in BOS with no problems after selecting it under Controls. Make sure that all of the controls (throttle and stick) are in the "neutral" position when the game starts.

You can't remap the control buttons really - you need to just use the button mappings as the game defaults them.

All of the key items, throttle, stick, rudder work fine. The other button mappings seem logical enough for me. I would like to separate the firing of cannon/machine guns (they fire together by default), but haven't looked into it yet.

You can manage the dead zone under the Control Settings (sensitivity).
Posted Image

#11 McQ

McQ

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Multiple

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Try this:

1. turn off your PS3
3. plug the flightstick
5. load the game
7. select EXTRA
8. select OPTIONS
9. select CONTROLS
11. now select the stick

Thanks for helping out with this template my friend.

I have had the same experience and almost went mental on this... What finalay worked for me was to set "Default" on the stick in your #11 - and then go L1 and map the stick one by one button from top. When I chose "ThrustmasterHotasX" and go L1 it won't save - or whatever it won't do - but goes to the pre-mapped settings of the THotasX. I guess that's ok if you like that setting, but I like to do my own mapping and add a few options in a button-combo (I keep forgetting these combos, but that's another issue...).

I have a hope the devs will add a driver for the Thrustmaster Warthog, but that's yet another issue... Then I will be needing rudderpedals as well. This hobby can get very expensive I assume :014j:

WTFRB_zps2a4317fa.pngSeaFurysigIV_zps07ff9c1f.jpg

#12 redknightsoh5

redknightsoh5

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Last night... we had 2 gentleman Instructors, that are both experts with Birds of Prey and now Birds of Steel in Simulation Playing only. They have now put in over 100 hours in Birds of Steel and they shared their experience in how to properly set up the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Flight Stick. Our instructor also uses the T.Flight Hotas X Stick and they have taken extensive time in learning how to set this Stick up to maximize it's potential in Birds of Steel. From what they showed us... and the settings they explained to use for best results... it could have taken months of experimentation, (Trial & Error) to find these correct settings for the Hotas X and BOS. They also shared their side of the story as to why we don't see more developer support in BOP and now BOS. I might get into this at a later date. It makes more sense to me now.... but could turn new players away from BOS in frustration.... unless they find a forum like this or someone to teach them how to fly in BOS.

These two aviators are not members of this forum as of today... but they could be soon. These two guys are experts in BOP and now BOS and they have taken the T.Flight Hotas X stick as far as it can go. After using and flying with the settings they gave me... the T.Flight Hotas X Stick is the only Flight Stick needed for Birds of Steel. I won't share their names without their permission. And flying aircraft in BOS with the toy Sony Hand Controller... would be simply crazy.

These T.Flight Hotas X settings most likely may not work at all with the others Sticks that Birds of Steel supports... so these settings will be only for the T.Flight Hotas X.

It took over an hour to set up my Hotas X Stick with their settings. After we finished and with several more tips from them... we entered a FREE FLIGHT room. The difference in the control over the aircraft was phenomenal!! As different as night and day from my pryer settings I was using with my Hotas X, and then their new settings. I was near giving up on this game and my new Stick... now that's the furthest thing from my mind. Birds of Steel is simply staggering... with the right Flight Stick, with it's correct settings.

Our instructor had all the Birds of Steel aircraft unlocked and available for us to use. We chose several planes that are known to be difficult to handle. They were not! These aircraft handled like they were part of us. My Flat Spins of Death were gone. My plane responded perfectly to everything I asked of it. THIS WAS AN ALL NEW FLIGHT SIM GAME... ONCE YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR AIRCRAFT! And our instructor had us flying and testing our new control settings in a true Simulation Room. We are still learning Birds of Steel... and I had no problems at all flying in Simulation with a new difficult aircraft to control. I didn't want to stop flying this plane!

I'm in the process of taking the in game Screen Shots of these new settings for the T.Flight Hotas X. These will be new flight control preferences and Button Mappings. A new flyer to Birds of Steel couldn't possibly find these settings on their own without help. There are extensive button remapping settings to be done... and I've never seen anything, anywhere on this forum even coming close to the settings I have now. THEY SIMPLY WORK! Be patient with BOS and your Hotas X... help is coming!

As soon as I have the settings screen shot photos... I will post a thread here, explaining and showing how to properly set up a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Flight Stick. The settings are there... you just need help finding them... and how to use them with your Hotas X Flight Stick. After using these settings... you can fine tune these settings to your liking. BUT, you have to have a good starting point.

As far as the other supported Flight Sticks that Birds of Steel shows you can use... it will be up to you to figure out how to use them. Good Luck!

Be back soon.

#13 GreyWolf

GreyWolf

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

Waiting in excitement redknightso5.............
Posted Image

#14 StiC

StiC

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

That's great news. It's good to hear you got the help you needed. Thanks for sharing.
Posted Image

#15 ndr70

ndr70

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

Thanks for helping out with this template my friend.

I have had the same experience and almost went mental on this... What finalay worked for me was to set "Default" on the stick in your #11 - and then go L1 and map the stick one by one button from top. When I chose "ThrustmasterHotasX" and go L1 it won't save - or whatever it won't do - but goes to the pre-mapped settings of the THotasX. I guess that's ok if you like that setting, but I like to do my own mapping and add a few options in a button-combo (I keep forgetting these combos, but that's another issue...).

I have a hope the devs will add a driver for the Thrustmaster Warthog, but that's yet another issue... Then I will be needing rudderpedals as well. This hobby can get very expensive I assume :014j:

Hello McQ, in these days i'm doing some experimets with my TM flightstick.
I switched the stick from PS3 to PC and I remapped all controls and buttons: so i can use the dualshock to look around and the Thrustmaster to control the plane (like i did in BoP). But i spent several hours to understand all the settings menu and there are some functions that i don't still understand.
I agree that a manual would be welcome.

#16 bunny287

bunny287

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

Sweet I've had my thrust setup decent but I can't wait to see this layout...and I hope for the love of God they have a good solution for a smooth hatswitch camera move
http://<a%20href=Posted Image">">

#17 ndr70

ndr70

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

I use the T. Flight Hotas in BOS with no problems after selecting it under Controls. Make sure that all of the controls (throttle and stick) are in the "neutral" position when the game starts.

You can't remap the control buttons really - you need to just use the button mappings as the game defaults them.

All of the key items, throttle, stick, rudder work fine. The other button mappings seem logical enough for me. I would like to separate the firing of cannon/machine guns (they fire together by default), but haven't looked into it yet.

You can manage the dead zone under the Control Settings (sensitivity).

You can connect a keyboard and assign to the keys separate controls for mg and cannons

#18 Wolverine

Wolverine

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Engineering. Flying. Website development.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:08 AM

... I'm in the process of taking the in game Screen Shots of these new settings for the T.Flight Hotas X. These will be new flight control preferences and Button Mappings. A new flyer to Birds of Steel couldn't possibly find these settings on their own without help. There are extensive button remapping settings to be done... and I've never seen anything, anywhere on this forum even coming close to the settings I have now. THEY SIMPLY WORK! Be patient with BOS and your Hotas X... help is coming!

As soon as I have the settings screen shot photos... I will post a thread here, explaining and showing how to properly set up a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Flight Stick. The settings are there... you just need help finding them... and how to use them with your Hotas X Flight Stick. After using these settings... you can fine tune these settings to your liking. BUT, you have to have a good starting point.

Thank you very much for spending the time to document the setup method and willingness to share it with the BOS community. I am certain many, many of us (and future pilots) will be grateful for your hard work and dedication to finding a solution.

I'm looking forward to your posting with much excitement.

#19 Mage_016

Mage_016

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:History, Geology, Simulators, Fly Fishing, Hunting and many other outdoor activities :D

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hope this helps.

Has this been confirmed? Do you really have to fly tutorial for full flight stick settings?
Posted Image

#20 schwarzewolf

schwarzewolf

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

NOTE: This is for the PS3

I hope that is not the case. Why would the player... be forced to first use the Sony toy hand controller, that is already difficult to use with a flying sim... after the user bought this game and a new Flight Stick to use with it. That's just ridiculous!! What possible reason, would the BOS's game developers do this??? Why do we have to EARN the right to use our New Flight Stick first, after first being forced to use Sony's toy hand controller in it's BOS tutorial... that was already difficult to find... first? BOS has now cost me over $100 just to play this game, due to the cost of the game and the Flight Stick. I have a number of friends in my current situation that will return BOS and their Flight Stick Controller over this debacle.

And yes... I did finish the tutorial... with my new Flight Stick! I have no intention to use the toy hand controller with this game.... why would I?. The developer build in and included the settings for about a dozen over the shelf Flight Sticks you can buy and use with this game.

If this is the way Gaikin builds games... BOS will be a major disappointment for new players that bought Birds of Steel. The manual is bad enough with NO information how to set up and use this new game. The game states to go to this website for more information how to use and play this game. And there IS NO Gaikin Game Developer information that I can find... except for other players that bought BOS having the same issues and are now pleading for help. WHY IS THE DEVELOPER OF THIS GAME LEAVING IT'S USERS IN THE DARK??? We paid good money for BOS... where's the Technical Support and online manual? Why are the players here on this BOS forum... that bought Birds of Steel... now talking about making their own User Manual... since Gaikin couldn't be bothered to make one themselves??

I now request Gaikin to patch and fix this at once if this is true!! I wouldn't have bought BOS knowing this in advance! My new Flight Stick worked perfectly with Birds of Prey as I bought a used copy of BOP to test the new Thrustmaster Stick and get ready for Birds of Steel.

You also have an
obligation to supply a COMPLETE online User Manual how to use your game and set up a new Flight Stick that you show support for in Birds of Steel!

I would like an answer ASAP in this thread!

1. look at the back of your stick put it on ps3 mode and not pc! --------------2. plug it into the system-------------3. turn on the system and start game with joystick------------4. go into game screen----------5. then click on extras---------5. then click on options/controls----------6. hit the L1 Button to set your button set up-----------7. then hit R1 for your axis set up--------8. dont blame the company or game for your lack of yeah.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users