Frosti

Radiator, Prop pitch, Mixture, what is this?

27 posts in this topic

If WOP is historically accurate , in the P-51 D is better to simply never change the mixture, since the automatic simmons system will use your altitute value to set the optimum value.

this statement is accurate - in R/L you would not adjust the automatic mixture control on a Mustang - but I was talking about this sim - and in this sim when you change the mixture in the Mustang, you have two settings...100% and 120%, however, it is correct to say you would not make those settings manually - you would just let the automatic system control mixture.

for clarity

Just started playing again couple days ago and playing on settings to figure out what mixture, radiator, cowl does.  I just found out the Supercharger is on the Hurricane the other night and you can change the mixture too.  So when you turn on the Supercharger increase mixture too right so the engine doesn't overheat?  I don't think Ive ever had the Hurricane shut off on me while flying (engine stops out of no where) its not King Tiger tank like Im use to.  Sounds like a lot to remember but easier than what you think.  The hard part about all of this is I bet each plane has its own altitude when to use all of this for example don't use the Supercharger for high altitudes turn it off when you go above 500 meters I cant remember.